Thursday, June 8, 2017

Comey and the Meddlesome Priest

Former FBI Director James Comey and Senator Angus King (I-ME) both referenced the murder of Thomas Becket by the oblique order of King Henry II. Comey is before the Senate Intelligence Committee testifying about President Trump, Russia, spying, and possible obstruction of justice.

Here's a clip with video.

Transcript:

King: When a president of the US in the oval office says something like I hope or I suggest or would you, do you take that as a directive?
Comey: Yes, yes, it rings in my ears as "will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?"
King: I was just gonna quote that in 1170, December 29, Henry II said "who will rid me of this meddlesome priest" and the next day he was killed, Thomas a Becket, and it's exactly the same situation. We're thinking along the same lines.

Medieval history is always with us. I had a similar thought in early March.