Monday, June 9, 2014

Crowdsourcing - Tenure and Promotion and Public Engagement

I am writing a piece about tenure/promotion criteria and public engagement. My hunch as I went in was that most universities do not count public engagement. To my surprise, as I do this work, I find that I'm wrong. So here are my questions/requests:

1. If you have the time, could you look at your faculty handbooks/relevant documents and tell me what you find, especially with links if such materials are public. You might see "community outreach" instead of public engagement, or, if following certain ways of talking about scholarship, the "scholarship of engagement."

2. Do you know anyone who has gone up for tenure or promotion at your school using such credentials? How did it work?

I'm trying to get a sense of practices, broadly. I've read about two dozen t&p manuals, but obviously can't read all of them! You can, though, and point me in the right direction.

As always, reply anywhere - here, facebook, twitter, or email at lollardfish AT gmail...

Thank you.