Sunday, September 1, 2013

Sunday Round-up

  • My semester began this Monday with the usual hectic sprint. My wife left the house (for the week) at 4 AM, I woke up the kids at 6, and by 8 I was on my way to the university. I called it manly.
  • On Tuesday, keeping with the higher ed theme and my interest in re-defining "Western Civ" for the 21st century, I looked at what some living conservative white males thought we should be studying. Guess what they said.
  • On Wednesday, I began writing about Ethan Saylor, working through "WalkersvilleMom's" outstanding blog post about the (then) 250,000 who signed the petition.As a good social scientist, she categorizes and sorts.
  • On Thursday I made fun of a New Mexico lawmaker and his reading of Alexander the Great's marriage policy (as a defense of "traditional" marriage).
  • And on Friday, I thought about the issues raised by the comments and emails in response to my CNN essay on Saylor. The comments here are all interesting. Although readership of the blog has risen steadily, there's not a lot of comments yet. Comments are very welcome (and moderated, so no fear of trolls). I was also on the radio and offered a primer on the Ethan Saylor case to anyone new.
  • Finally, on Saturday, I returned to thinking about masculinity, patriarchy, and male feminism, in a response to the response to John Scalzi's response to a dudebro's response to John Scalzi in a dress. It really is turtles all the way down.
Later today, I'm finally going to get involved in the Miley Cyrus and Robin Thicke story. I know you can't wait!